Have bump on lower leg, rashes on butt crack and bottom of penis. What is the disease?

Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Posted on Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: i have a rash on the top of my butt crack then at the bottom of my penis not on it another rash behind 1 knee all itch like crazy lower legs it have little bumps hard to see there
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 20 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

You are most likely suffering from Fungal infection in groin region called as "Tinea Cruris".
This infection is common in males.
Presence of itch along with rash in groin area suggest the diagnosis.
Infection get flared up after exposure to sweat and wearing tight clothes.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ dermatologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should go for KOH mount preparation of skin scrapings.
Other possibilities may be contact dermatitis and eczematous dermatitis with secondary bacterial infection.
Exact diagnosis could be made after examination.

You should apply anti-fungal ointment and should take in oral form for at least 21 days.
Wear cotton soft clothes.
Avoid soap application in groin region.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow up: Dr. Mayank Bhargava 11 minutes later
sorry i forgot to mention i went to 3 different doctors and the only thing that could make it go away for a few days is a steroid shot this went on for a few months it went away on its own now its back again the dermatologist took a sample of it and they told me it came back inconclusive
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 24 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,
Relief after application of steroid although suggest some sort of allergic or contact dermatitis and you should continue steroid application for few coming months.
Tinea infections are very common in males with recurrence if partially treated.
You should use another quality of cotton undergarments.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava