Have bicornuate uterus and had cesarean. Started getting painful periods. Any relief?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I have a bicornuate Uterus and had cesarean 1 yr ago. I always have pain during Period and it becomes so painful that I cAN not do anything. I visited many doctor and had ultraound and went medication, but nothing changed. I always take pain killer during the periods. Just worried is there any certainty or anything which can be cured tso I can stop pain killer. As Dr and Ultrasound says that my Uterus is small and stiif thats the cause of the pain. I am currently out of India, in the country where medicine can be available, therefor please let me know is there any possibility to get releif from the pain
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

The treatment of secondary dysmenorrhea due to structural causes depends on the cause.
So if you can manage with analgesics it is good or if the pain is so severe then the option is surgical treatment, because usually medical treatment may not help in these cases.
According to your cause of dysmenorrhea, the surgical treatment options are:
-Severing the nerves of the uterus.
-Hysterectomy.
As these are somewhat big procedures with possible complications better to take the opinion of your doctor before opting them.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Please let me know that I can continue with the pain killer ?
Wont it cause any other problem as side effect due to taking pain killer ?
Can I have another child with this condition ? Bicornuate cud be a problem for this pain ?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 hours later

Yes, you can continue the pain killers.
As you are not taking the pain killers continuously possibly there may not be any long term side effect.
As you previously had one successful pregnancy, you can plan for the second child.
Bicornuate uterus with blind horn can cause dysmenorrhea sometimes.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.