Have an implantable ICD. Noticed fast pulse while resting. What could be causing this?

Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: Hello,

I have XXXXXXX and an implantable ICD from 2009 - they are both being managed well and I go for checkups every three months. I just have one question, I have nticed that if I am lying down my pulse tends to run a bit quicker (70-75bpm) rather than if I sit up on the edge of the bed or in a chair, then it is consistently around 60. Could you let me know if this is something you have heard of before and what my be the cause of this phenomenon? I am overweight (but trying) and my last blood workup (three days ago) was perfect, thank God. Please let me know and thank you.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 10 hours later

It is well described that few people have higher laying down pulse than standing up pulse and lower pressure, without any implications. Another thing is if you also have a pacemaker with your ICD it may take over when you lie down.

Either way it doesn't have any major significance and represents a little anxiety if it is happening without pacemaker.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E