Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Have a very dark brown/black vaginal discharge with lots of clots. What do I do?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 1528 Questions
Hi I am having a very dark brown/black vaginal discharge with lots of clots! What do I do? Should I go to the ER?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 32 minutes later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query.
Clots in menstrual fluids or vaginal discharge excessive internal bleeding in the uterus and is commonly seen in menorrhagia, miscarriage, infection or sepsis, any bleeding disorders.
It may cause blood loss anemia , hypotension, etc if uncontrolled.
If you are experiencing sudden onset of such symptom, or its been since many hours without any decrease, or have cramps, fever, dizziness , headache etc please consult an Emergency room facility for confirming diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Treatment varies from oral medicines like tranexamic acid to surgical procedure.
Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor