Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
167 Doctors are Online

Have a severe itchy rash that looks similar to a brown recluse bite. Any idea?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1201 Questions
I have a severe rash that looks similar to a brown recluse bite, except in clusters from my left shoulder to my right shoulder. There is no puss but they burst open, bleed & constantly itch.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for the health concerns. Many possibilites are in the differential but the main ones are either infectious causes (such as impetigo, tinea corporis, etc) or inflammatory/allergic causes( such as contact dermatitis, ecczema). To avoid unnecessary trials of medication and error, most of the time the best course of action is seeing an experienced dermatology provider, who is also well versed in scarppings of lesions so that these can be sent for microscope analysis and culture, to come to THE specific diagnosis; this is particularly important since you have cardiovascular disease and diabetes, conditions in which you just don't want to "experiment" with trial and error therapies.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor