Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Have a positive test from nerve conduction test for mild carpel tunnel in hand. Need any therapy?

Dec 2012
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 1704 Questions
hi I have a positive test from nerve conduction test for mild carpel tunnel in my right hand. I also had an MRI done and it showed the same. my doctor wants me to get carpel tunnel release surgery which is fine but it is costly and I have just started a new job and don't want to have to take time off or be on light duties etc. I am keen to try non invasive therapy first such as prenisdone orally or cortisone injection/s. If you agree with prenisone what dosage and duration would you recommend I try?
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thank you for posting on XXXXXXX
If you are already diagnosed of carpal tunnel syndrome then, i'll suggest a couple of treatment options before you can engage in any surgical procedures
First you might try wearing a sprint at night for several weeks. If this does not work you might need to start wearing this during the day. Avoid sleeping on your wrist and use of hot and cold compresses maybe recommended.
Occupational changes such as too much use of keyboards and positioning should be changed.
You can use medications such as non-steroidal antiinflammatory to alleviate the syntoms or you use injectable steroidal antiinflammatory such as prednisolone in the dosage of 20mg daily for two weeks (low dose steroids). Others that could be used are hydrocortisone ( low as 25mg), triamcinolone (30 mg daily) for two weeks.

Carpal tunnel release is a surgical procedure that cuts into the ligament that is pressing on the nerve. Surgery is successful most of the time, but it depends on how long the nerve compression has been occurring and its severity.

Well the treatment options will depend on you and on your treating surgeon. If the surgeon evaluates and feels it will be best to undergo a release surgery, then it is better you follow his advice.

Hope this helps and wish you the best
Dr Nsah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor