Suggest treatment for anal itching

Posted on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had some anal itching for a couple of weeks and this is not common for me. My stools are normal and I did eat some hot foods. Also a few weeks ago I was hiking and did use leaves to wipe. Yes I attempted to ensure ita wasn't poison ivy but did get some rays on my leg as well.

Can i use triamcinoline cream (rx) as I have it from bad case of poison ivy /oak? What other things can I try?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
can try the topical steroid, oral antihistamine

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, you can use the triamcinolone or any other steroid cream to see if it would help. It is important to remember that steroid creams should be applied sparingly to the affected area, use in small amounts twice daily.
Using at least 3 days of oral antihistamines may also help as well eg benadryl, claritine, zyrtec

If there is no improvement another possibility is intestinal parasites/worms, these often cause anal itching as well.

In some cases the medication for treating intestinal infections eg albendazole , can be found over the counter.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Dr. Michelle Gibson James