Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

126 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Have a hard, crusty, white eruption on scalp. What type of specialist should I contact?

Answered by
Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 1201 Questions

Posted on Tue, 19 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a hard crusty white eruption on my scalp (looks kind of like a calcium deposit). This has appeared in the last couple of weeks and appears to be increasing in size. Is there a reason to be concerned and if so, what type of specialist would I need to contact?
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thanks for the question. It is difficult to provide a specific diagnosis without looking at the lesion, but based on the short description, the most common causes would be a fungal infection such as pitiriasis, tinea capitis, seborrheic dermatitis, or from non infectious causes psoriasis, lichen, seborreic keratosis discoid lupus.

The best person to take a look at that, since they have the ability to obtain a punch biopsy if needed, would be the dermatologists.

Yours truly,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Psoriasis

doctor1 MD

I have lechen sclerosis on my neck which is advancing up toward the crown through my hair. I also have toxic multi nodular goiter which needle biopsies think are not cancer. These issues both are 18 months since beginning. Endocrinologist nor ent nor dermatologist know anything about them both being caused by immune system deficiency. I also have psoriatic arthritis. If these are all immune system deficiency caused, how can I stop them or other new problems?

doctor1 MD

my aunt is on valaprin 200, she has developed sever swelling in both her legs, she has been keeping her legs elevated , but its not showing any improvement, besides she is also having psoriasis on the legs, the redness of which has reduced but swelling and pain persists. Please advice

doctor1 MD

i had an aaa test and was negative- pulsation is visible on chest/abdomen left side- i have psoriatic arthritis, had endometroid cancer, mass successfully removed in 09. pcp feels no swelling in area, could this be a gastric thing? also lately have had losartan doubled due to increased b/p-

doctor1 MD

My heart has been racing for the past few nights when i lay down this has never happened before.I am on a new medicine for my psoriasis/ psoriatic arthritis Otezla... for 1 month... I checked there are no side effects for rapid heart .... could it be this medicine? I had my physical 2 months ago ekg was fine... I have been on biologic tnf blocker med.. remicade 10 years i ahad a allergic reaction and had to stop my psoriasis flared really really bad for past 6 months... now on otezla...

doctor1 MD

Hi there I’m a 42 yo healthy male with mild psoriasis and psuedogout. Recent routine blood tests were normal. Three weeks ago whilst I had a mild sore throat and cold, I discovered a raised lymph node on my right side of neck 2 inches down from...

doctor1 MD

Hi.My doctor has advised to take Folitrax 2.5 mg for Psoriasis treatment. She is 72 year old. Is it advised to have this medicine. Please advise.

doctor1 MD

I developed a rush on my penis Can you recommend a cream that would be affective for that?