Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Has injured heels in gymnastic. Pain and swelling not there but bruising extending to ankle. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10363 Questions
Wow how amazing!
My daughter Jess injured her XXXXXXX in a gymnastics accident. Pain and swelling have gone but the bruising seems to be extending to her ankle now ???
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 18 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.
Usually the bruising heals in about 2-3 weeks of the injury. The worry starts if sign of infection like fever, redness etc. present, and symptoms like pain, swelling increases and bruise lasts for more than 3 weeks. If there is an increase in swelling (not bruise), Tenderness at the site and pain even in slight weight bearing than only she needs to do X-ray. Else, need not to worry.
The spread of bruise to the ankle is due to collection of blood in the dependent part due to the effect of gravity. This will decrease on keeping the foot elevated.
The home remedies your daughter can follow are:
1.     I'd suggest to apply warm packs to the area twice a day for a week, which will help the body clear the bruising away. (Remember to place a dry towel between the skin and the pack.)
2. Wrap elastic bandage like crepe bandage at the site of bruise. But don't wrap it too tight
3. Elevate the leg with the help of pillow, it helps in reducing swelling and bruise.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor