Suggest treatment for pain in the distal side of the foot after injury

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, I went for a tel yesterday and twisted my foot it seems. I took interim physiotherapist shell and they told me to take rest and gave a crape bandage with volini. The area that is tender is the upper and lower side of the right foot right side. Though I can walk, I am unable to put pressure on my ankle or the adjoining side of the foot. Am walking more with a pressure on my thumb and proximal side. Distal side of my foot is tender. Please suggest.

I went for a trek**

It's been a day and it doesn't seem to be a fracture. Is it a rear r just a sprain?

Tear**
Fri, 18 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a tear or sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Since there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely in this case. The mild discomfort and the internal pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a mild soft tissue injury in the area-can be a tear or sprain. Only an MRI scan can confirm.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic bandage for better support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal