Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

194 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for pain in the distal side of the foot after injury

Answered by
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :1994

Answered : 11322 Questions

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi, I went for a tel yesterday and twisted my foot it seems. I took interim physiotherapist shell and they told me to take rest and gave a crape bandage with volini. The area that is tender is the upper and lower side of the right foot right side. Though I can walk, I am unable to put pressure on my ankle or the adjoining side of the foot. Am walking more with a pressure on my thumb and proximal side. Distal side of my foot is tender. Please suggest.

I went for a trek**

It's been a day and it doesn't seem to be a fracture. Is it a rear r just a sprain?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be a tear or sprain.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query.
Since there is minimal pain on weight bearing and walking, a bone injury is not likely in this case. The mild discomfort and the internal pain that you are feeling is likely to be due to a mild soft tissue injury in the area-can be a tear or sprain. Only an MRI scan can confirm.
You can help the improvement by-
1. Avoid any strenuous exercises, lifting weights, climbing stairs, cycling, etc.
2. Take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen every 8 hourly.
3. Do a hot fomentation in the area twice daily.
4. You can apply a local analgesic gel like Volini also.
5. Use an elastic bandage for better support while walking.
Do consult an Orthopedician for a physical examination and stronger prescription medicines in case there is swelling, persistent pain and difficulty in walking.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Elastic bandage

doctor1 MD

This is a follow-up to our chat of a few days ago re magnesium to alleviate intense muscle spasms in my thigh. It seems to be helping along with the 2mg Tizanidine . I have spoken with my internist and he agrees that I should see an orthopedist to...

doctor1 MD

Two weeks ago I was exercising with weights doing heel raises (weight on toes raise heel). After exercise my arches began to hurt. My left arch still hurts. I have done some RICE...but what else can I do?

doctor1 MD

fell and twisted ankle in 3/2012 and diagnosed with unspecified sprain/strain left foot. Xrays showed nothing broke, MRI shows severe edema. 12 PT treatments, that helped a month ago. I continue to wrap wth ace bandage, walk and still my foot and ankle are extremely swollen, unable to get left shoes on and the ball of my foot hurts now. What could ths be???????

doctor1 MD

I hurt my knee last week running. It popped, I couldn t walk on it without limping. I wrapped it with an ace bandage for a few days and it seemed better until I bent it and it popped again. It feels like air in my knee and it s uncomfortable. What is it?

doctor1 MD

i have had lymphatic blockage in my left leg since june 2000 due to an accident.i was reading online and came across the use of cabbage poultice&elastic bandages which av bin using for over a week now.its actually reducing the swelling on a gradual note but my skin is peeling&itchy,i don t knw if its right or what other natural methods an i try?thks

doctor1 MD

I broke my 5th metatarsal and was given the cam boot to wear, so for the last week I have been wearing it however my back has actually hurt more from the unevenness of the boot. would it be ok to take the boot off completely, wrap my foot in ace bandages put a sock over and just use crutches for the remainder of the time that I was supposed to be wearing the boot. oh and it was a stress fracture