Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
My dad has a nerve problem. Once in a while he will get severe pain near legs and unable to stand and walk.
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
need more details

Detailed Answer:

Please let me know your dad's age.

Also, I would like to know if your dad has a history of Diabetes or Hypertension.

The nerve problem could be due to vitamin B12 deficiency as well.

Your dad would benefit by taking the medicine Neurobion forte daily one tablet. This will help rejuvenate the nerves in his legs.

Is he unable to stand and walk all the time or is it only occasionally?

Please write in detail about your dad's concern for me to help you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest? 59 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

My Dad age is 57 Years and he is not suffering from any Diabetics and BP.

He is unable to stand and walk occasionally only during this problem time.

0000 0000
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
Osteoarthritis with nerve involvement

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing the details.

In the absence of Diabetes and high blood pressure, we should think of bone problem as the primary cause. It may be calcium or vitamin D deficiency which causes senile Osteoarthritis (OA) as in your dad.

At his age of 57 years, OA is the most common cause. I would suggest you to consult your father with an Orthopedician, and get his serum calcium and other tests done. He would also require an x-ray of the knee and hip joints.

You can continue to give him Neurobion forte as I suggested earlier. This will take care of the nerves.

Wish your father good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Has a nerve problem, get severe pain near legs and unable to stand. Suggest? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Today MRI Scan (LS Spine) got done. Reports attached for your reference please review and provide your advice.

0000 0000
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
spinal decompressive surgery may be required

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the uploaded MRI report of your father in depth.

He has a problem in the lower back that is causing him pain and inability to walk. There is a compression in the spinal cord in the lumbar i.e. lower back region.

This has to be evaluated by a back surgeon. If need be, he may have to undergo a decompressive spinal cord surgery of his back.

In my view, you should consult your father with a skilled back surgeon. Do it at the earliest to prevent complications.

I wish your father a quick recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor