• question-icon

What causes cramps in the feet, ankle and ham strings?

Posted on Sat, 27 Jan 2018 in General Health
Question: ever since I had back surgery I have had severe leg, feet, ankle, and ham string cramps. I have tried everything and nothing helps. could having surgery have anything to do with it. some nights I am up every hour on the hour with cramps.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Associated

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on Healthcaremagic.

You are possibly complaining of neuropathic pain which can happen in case of spinal nerve compression. It is to present or relieve such nerve compression that you had the back surgery. The surgery therefore has direct association with the pain and cramps.

Hot compress should provide relief. The vicious cycle of pain and spasm needs to be broken and I would insist you to take paracetamol or acetaminophen 500 mg two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days. This should ease the problem and make it go away. If it does not, I would insist you to get a X Ray of Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports. Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Feel free to write back.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha