Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Has High Cholesterol and Diabetes. Taking medicine. What can be done to get it in control?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hi-- My father has High Cholestrol and Diabetes - He has been taking medication since more then 6 months now there hasnt been any change-- kindly suggest wat can be done other then medicines to get it in control
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

You have asked the right question of what needs to be done for the high cholesterol and Diabetes in your father, other than medicines.

Here is my answer:

- In view of Diabetes and High cholesterol, your father should do brisk walking daily for 45 mins.

- Along with this, he needs a healthy diet. He must avoid high calorie and high carbohydrate XXXXXXX food. He must consume more of fibers in the form of fruits and vegetables.

- He could take anti-oxidant supplements like Omega 3 fatty acids, niacin in the form of multivitamin capsules.

- He needs to take his medications regularly.

- His cholesterol and sugar levels need to be monitored or checked every 6 months.

- He would also require annual eye and heart check up.

I hope this is useful. Write back if you have more queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Diabetologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor