Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Hard, fluid-filled bump on penis. No pain or itching. Leathery patches on penis. What is it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3632 Questions
I have a hard, pea sized, fluid filled bump at the base of my groin/penis that has been present since the beginning of February. It seldomly itches, and there is minimal pain when I touch it. It seems to get slightly larger after ejaculation. It has no outlet (like you would see with a pimple), but when I tried to remove the fluid last week it came out a clear red color, however, the size has not changed. This morning I noticed a few small, dark, leathery patches on my penis where it made contact with the bump. Do you know what it is or what I can do for it?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for your query.

I have seen the image you have attached.

Based on the appearance of the lesions and the description you provided about the same, I could think of two possibilities.

Herpes: The lesions appear as those typically seen in herpes zoster. Your description also suits the diagnosis. You may have to consult a dermatologist and confirm the fact. If the lesions are spreading then you can apply ACYCLOVIR 5% ointment over the lesions to prevent progression.

Folliculitis: Since some of the lesions involved the hair follicles, I would like to consider this a possibility but a less probable one. Treatment of these may involve a course of antibiotics.

Hope, I answered your query.

Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Hard, fluid-filled bump on penis. No pain or itching. Leathery patches on penis. What is it? 1 hour later
Hello, thank you for your response. The bump appeared after shaving the area. Does that increase the likelihood that it may be Folliculitis? Is the antibiotic you spoke of over the counter and what is recommended? I am currently away from the States and will not be back for several weeks.
If it is not folliculitis, is ACYCLOVIR over the counter, or do I need a prescription for it?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the history provided by you may support the diagnosis of folliculitis but the lesions are very typical to those seen in Herpes zoster. Hence, I would strongly recommend a physical examination by a Dermatologist.

If it is folliculitis, antibiotic like Azythromycin or clarythromycin would be a suitable one. No, they are not available as over the counters.

Yes, Acyclovir is available over the counter.

Hope, I was of some help.

Wish you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor