Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Had unprotected oral sex. Woke up with infection in mouth. Infectious diseases?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1777 Questions
Hi. I recently gave unprotected oral sex to a man who got rough. Shortly after my throat hurt and the next day I woke with an infection in my mouth. Disgusting, I know. Sorry to bother you with this. Between the microabrasions and exposure to microbes, I am very concerned. I don't trust my general doctor in terms of competence. I need other doctors' opinions of which specialty I should be working towards: infectious disease MD or ENT or ? I saw a PA who dismissed it as nothing to worry about. But it IS something to act on. I need help and testing. Swab testing plus consultation.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 16 minutes later

Thank you for the brief description. However it does not contain your complaints. You just said 'infection'. Do you have throat pain? Do you have bleed from the mouth? Do you have discharge / foul smell from the throat?

When did the episode happen last?

If you do not have any of the above symptoms and you had passed a week, it is unlikely that any microbes entered the abrasions. I know you are anxious at the moment and you repent for the events that took place.

However just believe that you are saved for this episode as you do not have any symptoms. If you still have queries related it you may consult an Infectious disease specialist who would be able to explain you why you do not have to worry and what are the earliest symptoms that you should concern you.

Let me know if you have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Woke up with infection in mouth. Infectious diseases? 22 minutes later
The episode happened July 2nd, last week. My left tonsil appears remarkably different from my right tonsil. Left tonsil had two white spots on it. PA said they were like abscesses and he compared them to acne and said not to worry. Dismissive attitudes are upsetting to me, because I am more productive at school and work when I have worst-case-scenario management in action. He swabbed for Strept throat which was negative. The white of the abscesses seem to have gone but perhaps left the tonsil altered. Right tonsil looks healthy. Left tonsil also appears to have a wart-like growth but this may have been there before the episode but maybe not. Right gums above upper teeth have a few mild looking sores barely visible but there. Gum inflammation is going down. I tend to be ultra-healthy with excellent immunity, so my experience of infection is mild as I have not been infected with anything in the past 6 years since practicing raw vegan living. I have a just barely perceptible infection with mildly swollen glands and a mild perception/awareness of upper respiratory fighting something. The man was a high-risk man who travels the world and has many female sex partners. I blame myself for letting him be rough. This has happened before with a sadistic boyfriend who perhaps primed me to tolerate such behavior. I also hold pornographic industry accountable for activating mirror neurons to enable/contribute to causing humans to mimic this behavior. Accountability isn't my issue now anyways. I need to know WHO to see and WHAT tests to target. I need flat-out bold MULTIPLE opinions because I want to buy tests and have someone look in my throat. ENT? But ENTs don't seem to advertise this sort of service probably because their customer-base has better sense and behaviors than I have exhibited. Should I go to my GP and persuade her to refer me to an infectious disease specialist? Should I wait a few weeks so that any testing will be more accurate since my body will need to produce antibodies? If yes, how many weeks should I wait before spending the money on testing? Thank you for your admirable compassion and earnest support.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 1 hour later
The symptoms that you explained may or may not be related to the episode you had a week back. I totally agree your perspective of testing after an awful incident with an unknown that had left a gravest remark on your mind. Yes STDs are freaky and hidden STDs are a challenge for a physician.

I suggest you to see your GP and insist for a Infectious Disease specialist referral. Your GP can do a general ENT examination as well to start with and order STD profile after 2 more weeks and one more after 3 months. Your doctor will know about them. However the tests include the following:

Hepatitis Bs Ab
Swab from the mouth and genitals if there is discharge

For now you can do a salt water gargles with warm water that will help to kill and flush out a lot of microbes. The alkaline nature of the saliva is a blessing for humans which can fuss out germs.

Let me know if you have grilling concerns.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had unprotected oral sex. Woke up with infection in mouth. Infectious diseases? 1 hour later
Thank you. I have an appointment this Wednesday with an ENT. The receptionist at the ENT said he will refer me to an infectious disease specialist. I called the infectious disease specialists and they said they need a referral.

After my appointment on Wednesday, I want to pay to talk with you specifically again; I will try to figure out how to do that.

Thank you.

I intend on getting the Early Detection HIV test for $175. I hope/assume the lab is reputable. It's an online STD sales group who I pay then they send me an email with the address of which lab to go to.

I will follow your plan. Thank you so much. If I have acute HIV or other, I will have a good attitude and help others avoid such fate. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 12 hours later

I pray that your results come back clear and I expect so with my experience. I suggest ELISA for HIV than the PCR method. Ask the lab if it is ELISA. ELISA tests antiboides, PCR tests Virus particles.

You can talk to me here at this link,
All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor