Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Had severe 2nd degree burn. How to remove burn marks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5762 Questions
Hi I had severe 2nd degree burns due to a accident with the pressure pot where the boiling water spilled on my hands I still have marks in place how can I remove them?
Posted Mon, 6 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 42 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

The tissue which has been burned, were substituted by scar tissue. Unfortunately this tissue is build mostly from connective tissue and does not look like the tissues which were there before the burning.
And the bad news is that you wont be able to completely remove this tissue without leaving any XXXXXXX It is possible to make it less visible with some creams. To remove it completely, skin graft is necessary. But the skin must be taken from other place of your body (usually thigh) and this will leave a XXXXXXX in this place.
So if it does not impede with arm movements, skin grafts does not seem to be necessary.
You may try Mederma Gel (OTC). It should be applied 3 times a day for at least 3 months. It will for sure make your scars less visible.
If the effect wont be satisfactory for you, plastic surgeon might be helpful.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had severe 2nd degree burn. How to remove burn marks? 19 minutes later
My doctor told me once to put cocoa butter three times a day will this help?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
I don`t think so. It may make your scar a bit softer but never heard about it. Try Mederma which has proven effect and for sure will be better than cocoa butter.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor