Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Had operation on lumbar region. Getting severe pain. How to get relief from the pain?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10463 Questions
Ive had two operation on lumbar regieon, last being fussion on 5 vertibrates L1 L5 etc. two day operation ! pain unlike anything I've ever had, six months now. Doctor sent me to a pain manament, now i'm a dope attic with pain. What can I do??
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query.
Persistent back pain after repeated back surgeries is a difficult thing to treat.
In such cases, pain management involves use of opioid analgesics round the clock.
Try taking some good muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside with the routine painkillers you take. I am not sure if muscle relaxants are over the counter at your locality. You could perhaps check with the local chemist. Else you may need prescription. Along with it, do hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel on the area.
Few other options of treatment which may be useful in reducing pain and maintaining functional lifestyle are 'Transcutaneous Electric Nerve stimulation (TENS) units', relaxation techniques, occupational and physical therapy approaches.
If none of the above measures are helpful, pain specialists have used low dose tricyclic antidepressants, gabapentins or other anticonvulsants for modifying the intensity of perceived pain. This is also an option available which can be tried. Discuss with your doctors to prescribe the medications if needed.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor