Had gallbladder surgery, noticed blood in urine. Did not get catheter for surgery. Related?

Posted on Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am 66 female
I had gallbladder surgery last Wednesday.
48 hours after the surgery I saw blood in my urine
It only happened once. It had never happened before.
The doctor says I did not get a catheter for the surgery.
Could this be related to the surgery?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 27 minutes later
Blood in urine is not due to gallbladder surgery.
Since it happened just once, there may not be anything serious. However, watch for recurrence of blood in urine. If so, get a urine routine examination done.
If blood cells are present in urine, the next step is to know whether it is from the lower urinary tract or from the kidneys. An ultrasound scan may be done on a later date if required to assess the urinary tract.

Therefore, the answer to your question is - NO blood in urine is not related to gallbladder surgery.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist