Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes hair loss when diagnosed with hydronephrosis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

My son who is 6 months old now is diagnosed with Hydronephrosis and has Grade II VUR. He had Urinary Tract Infection and he was hospitalised when he was 1.5 months old. DMSA scan revealed kidney scarring later with Left kidney working at 39% and right working at 61%.

Above mentioned is his medical history. We have been asked to inform Pediatric Nephrologist if there is hair loss. Off late we are seeing that there is some hair loss on daily basis. Whenever he sleeps and wakes up we can see hair in the place where he rested his head. I have attached a picture for your reference where you can see his hair fallen.

We are currently traveling and cannot meet doctor at least until wednesday. Kindly advice if this is something to be worried about and addressed immediately?

Thanks & Regards,
xxx XXXXXXX x
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There is nothing urgent .You can see your Nephrologist when you come back

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query and uploading photograph .

Based on the facts that you have posted your son has grade ii VUR and currently on antibiotic.

I shall be happy to know the antibiotic that he has been on .

The hair loss is not a serious issue .You can consult your Nephrologist once you are back in your town .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: What causes hair loss when diagnosed with hydronephrosis? 4 minutes later
Hello doctor,

Thabks for the quick response. My son is on Sporidex antibiotic with a 0.8 filler reading value daily night. He weighs 7.85 KG as of now. Kindly advice.

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue taking it

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up
Continue taking Sporisex. Nephrologist may do kidney function tests.
Thanks and Regards
Dr Patil