Suggest treatment for hydronephrosis

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Thu, 10 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor,

My son who is 6 months old now is diagnosed with Hydronephrosis and has Grade II VUR. He had Urinary Tract Infection and he was hospitalised when he was 1.5 months old. DMSA scan revealed kidney scarring later with Left kidney working at 39% and right working at 61%.

Now sometimes my son's stool looks very hard and he seems to be struggling when passing it. He is still feeding on mother's milk with 2 feeds a day of Cerelac with Banana or Boiled apple. We are also giving him some water now and then.

Please let us know if this is normal considering his Hydronephrosis condition. I am attaching an image of his stool for scrutiny purpose. Kindly advice further on this.

Thanks,
xxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hard stools are due to less water intake

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted your 6 months old son who has grade II VUR is facing a problem of hard stools (Constipation)

Hard stools in a infants is usually due to less water intake .

You need to ensure that he is given adequate quantity of boiled water in between breast feeds .

Giving 1/2 teaspoon of castor oil will help to soften the stool .

Passing hard stool has no relation with hydronephrosis that he has due to VUR .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.