Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Had gall bladder removed after stones in it. Is it possible to develop gallstones without gallbladder?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 1524 Questions
Hi, I had my gallbladder removed 16 years ago. In the last 3 years I have started having what feels like gallbladder attacks. When they performed my surgery it was pretty extensive, I ended up with a 7 inch incision on my abdomen and it took them nearly 5 hours to remove all the stones that had left the gallbladder and traveled in the bile ducts. (I think the count was like 47 stones) Is it possible to develop gallstones even without a gallbladder? Most of these "attacks" last 10 - 30 minutes with pain radiating into my back (between the shoulder blades) Is this something I should address with my doctor or just ignore? Thanks for your input.
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM).

Yes stone can develope in bile ducts even after the removal of gallbladder.

The kind of pain you have described is typical of Gallstones or it may be simply dyspepsia arising from stomach or duodenum. So please consult your doctor regarding this pain who may advise you to get liver function tests and ultrasound abdomen. If both of these are normal may be endoscopy to see for the exact cause of pain

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Had gall bladder removed after stones in it. Is it possible to develop gallstones without gallbladder? 16 hours later
Thank you for your input! I will make an appointment with my doctor to discuss the options.
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 6 hours later
Welcome and remain in touch
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor