Thanks for the query
After going through your description I do feel you are suffering from acute sinusitis
During an nose gets congested, because of which there will be blockage of the sinus opening leading to stagnation of the secretions in the sinus and increased viscosity. Stagnation of the secretions gives rise to headache and nasal infection
. Also, the stagnated secretions along with the nasal congestion
blocks the air from reaching the roof of the nose where the area of olfaction is present. The alternate perception of the smell happens when the congestion reduces and bounces back.
Secondly, the possiblity of nasal septal deviation or presence of polyps has to be ruled out after getting the nose examined through endoscopy.
Meanwhile you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water – this helps in improving the blood circulation, keeping the mucosa moist and relief from pain
2. Use saline nasal spray
followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day - this helps in removing the thick secretions from the sinuses and thus reduces the nasal block.
3. You can also try using a steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone
or momentasone to reduce the nasal congestion and increase the perception of smell.
4. A mucolytic such as bromhexine
or ambroxol will be beneficial in reducing the consistency of the sinus secretions and effective clearing of the sinuses.
5. If the symptoms do not improve, request your doctor for a nasal endoscopy and CT scan of the paranasal sinuses
6. Also, avoid smoking/chilled food & beverages/alcohol/coffee till you recover.
Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon