Had anal intercourse. Got external hemorrhoids. Experiencing liquid leakage. Any treatment?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 19 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hi. i have external hemorrhoids and am experiencing more gas than normal with some liquid leakage. i had anal sex for the first time and this is clearly a result. the only other time i had hemorrhoids was when i was pregnant with my children. advice?
when i went online to research it seemed many people have this small leakage chronically so my question is will this go away when the external hemorrhoids clear up or have i damaged something that means i will have this as an ongoing problem
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

One of the most common reason for fecal incontinence is injury to the muscles of the anal sphincter.
Though you are experiencing symptoms due to recent anal intercourse that likely damaged the anal sphincter, women commonly have this symptom because of damage to nerves innervating this area and the sphincter that occurs during pregnancy and delivery. There is also the fact that estrogen appears to help the sphincter and the decrease in estrogen levels as women age contribute to the problem.

Resolution of the hemorrhoids may result in slight decrease in the incontinence but is unlikely to cause complete cessation of the leakage.
Treatment involves the use of high fiber foods, pelvic floor exercises which help in some but not others , biofeedback and surgery.
The pelvic floor exercises involve clenching the buttocks and maintaining that position for a few minutes and repeating this through out the day.
Biofeedback is conducted by a doctor but basically involves using stimuli and equipment to re educate the pelvic floor muscles.

To treat the hemorrhoids you need to use a high fiber diet, stool softeners so you don't have to strain and worsen them, copious liquids, steroids to reduce the inflammation and the use of a tub for sitz baths in warm water for 15 to 20 minutes twice a day.

After these resolve you will be able to see the degree of the remaining problem and may consider, if possible consulting your doctor.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions