What do frequent urination, bladder spasms and incontinence indicate?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Wed, 4 Oct 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Good morning, I am a 52 year old woman with a history of 6 abdominal surgery's 3 c sections, laparoscopic x2 to burn scar tissue and a XXXXXXX For the past few months I am finding that I am urinating frequently but do not feel like i ever empty sometimes i will sit on the bowl for an additional 5 to 10 minutes for the rest. I also get spasms in my bladder. I have tried OTC patches for over active bladder and had a prescription for Myrbetric. These last couple of week now I have been leaking urine now and I am not too happy. I plan to make an appointment with a Urologist but was hoping for some insight before I go. I do take Lasik 10mg but have for many many years and i tried stopping it for 2 days but nothing changed. Thank you
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to Stress Incontinence of Urine (SIU)

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Based on the facts that you have posted leakage of urine that you have since recent times can be mostly due to what is called as Stress Incontinence of Urine (SIU).

Considering the 6 histories of abdominal surgery the SIU that you have is due to weakness of pelvic floor muscles which in normal circumstances help to maintain the angle of urethra and there by continence .

You need to consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis
1) Urine routine and Culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen
3) Endoscopic examination of bladder to determine tone of urethral sphincter (Bony's Test)
4) Urodynaemic study of bladder .

Till the you can continue taking Myrbetric once daily .

Doing Kegel's exercise for 15 minutes thrice daily will help to increase the tone of pelvic floor muscles and sphincter and may help to control leakage of urine .

Further treatment and /or need for surgery will be decided by concerned Urologist depending upon the findings of tests .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.