Had a scratch from dog and have broken skin on foot. Should I be worried?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Infections
Question: Hi Doctor, After a little scratch from a road dog I was taking five days course 0,3, 7,14 and 28 as my last full vaccination was almost three years back. After 7 days of the completion of my fourth shot that is on 21st day my feets broken skin got contact with saliva of a rat. So I have taken another shot due to panic. Now I am confused when to get the next dose on 24th day or on 28th day as usual or both? Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Stop worrying.Five doses are sufficient. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. For contact with the saliva of a rat, anti rabies vaccination is not required. If you have completed the five dose schedule of antirabies vaccination (0, 3, 7, 14 , and 21 instead of 28), then this schedule will be sufficient and will give protection from rabies. So I suggest you not to be panic if you have completed 5 injections of anti rabies vaccination. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later
Hi Doctor, Sorry. It was cat not rat.Sorry for the typo. So the situation is I have taken five course on 0, 3, 7,14 and 21 (As on 21st I have got a contact with cat saliva with a broken skin of mine and I realized it after 12hrs, the saliva was on the floor and I wore the socks also but i think I have already protected due to my previous four doses). Now probably I am going to be a mad due to my panic and anxiety probably it is OCD. But do you think if I take 24th (as the second dose of re expose) and 28th (fifth and last dose of previous expose) to resolve my anxiety will it be an overdose? Thank You Regards
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 13 hours later
Brief Answer: Five doses are enough. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for getting back. As you have received four doses of anti rabies vaccination before coming into contact with a cat saliva, this will give protection against rabies. And you have taken the 5th dose of anti rabies vaccination after contact with cat saliva, so this five doses will give complete protection against rabies. Yes, it will be over dose if you take another two doses on 24th and 28th days. Instead you can go for an another dose on 90th day which is an optional one in anti rabies vaccination schedule with the advice of your doctor. I suggest you to stop worrying too much and if you have further concerns, consult the physician for discussion. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.