Had a partial hysterectomy. Removed scar tissue. Have loose bowl movements, pain in rib cage, pressure on my vagina

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hello I am a 41 year old women who had a partial hysterectomy in 2008 leaving my ovaries intact. In 2010 due to pain, my surgeon removed some scar tissue and a did a general "clean up". I have felt fantastic up until around September 2012 when I started getting the same symptoms again like cramping, bloating, loose bowl movements, high temperatures, pain right up under my rib cage and a feeling of pressure on my vagina?? My GP (who is lovely) has scheduled a pelvic ultrasound next week but I really do not want to have surgery again. Is there any alternative I can try? She did prescribe me progesterone cream just before Xmas but not sure this has worked? Any help greatly appreciated. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
The symptoms that you are having are likely to be related to the adhesions and the fibriosis formation due to the two surgeries. A pelvic ultrasound scan will help in detecting the exact pathology and the specific treatment can be planned thereafter.
For temporary relief start eating low fiber (no more then 2 grams), and a low resin diet. That means that you should avoid nuts, popcorn, anything with seeds, or caffeine.
You can also use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol, tums, imodium, entrocalm, etc for symptomatic relief.
Daily exercises along with a low fat diet will help you overcome the problems.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thank you so much for such a quick response...

If it is adhesions and fibriosis formation due to the surgeries, is another surgery the only answer? I have had a colonoscopy and laproscopy before getting partial hysterectomy and then follow up surgery and really do not want to have to go through this again if I can avoid it??

I am very healthy now, no alcohol for over a year, no smoking, go to gym and run every day, eat only organic food....just feel I am doing everything right and this is majorly impacting on my life and my mind.

Am open to any other alternatives..

Yours sincerely
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the adhesions are mild and the symptoms can be controlled well with the medicines then the surgery is not needed. Conservative treatment with the help of medicines is tried first and if the symptoms are severe and persistent then surgery might have to be considered.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.