Got hit on elbow. Noticed numbness in arm and pain in shoulder. What's wrong?

Dr. Kulbir Singh

Posted on Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I hit my elbow a few weeks ago and my arm is numb up to my shoulder and it hurts.What could be wrong and how do i fix it? I dont have any history of heart problems.
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello Cand thanks for writing in
The pain in elbow can be due to minor fracture, sprain, XXXXXXX or ulnar nerve injury or compression. The pain can be due to the chronic disease like arthritis which may get aggravated due to the injury. There is more possibilities of a nerve compression or injury as you have numbness in your arm. But we needs to prove that. First of all get your X-ray done if not done before and rule out any minor fracture. After that follow the following measures to get rid from the problem:
1. Do hot fermentation of the area 2-3 times a day.
2. Do regular exercise and physiotherapy as directed by your physiotherapist.
3. Take analgesic and anti-inflammatory drugs to reduce pain in worse condition.
4. Wear a sling if it helps you.
5. Gently massage the area to encourage blood flow. Do not massage the injured area it cause increase in pain.
6. Do as much as work you can do with the elbow to give strength to the injured area.

Hope this will help you. The list can be increased or decreased depending upon the X-ray report and clinical examination of the elbow. Consult your orthopedic specialist as soon as possible and get to a diagnosis. The treatment can be planned once the diagnosis is established. Numbness in the arm is the matter of concern and need to be treated earlier.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer your further query if any.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh