Getting the feeling of trapped wind or hard mucus in food pipe. What should I do?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in GERD
Question: Hello, I am getting the feeling of either trapped wind, or hard mucus ( some sort of blocked up feeling ) in my food pipe. Food seems to pass along with fluids but I've had it for 24 hours and I am unable to lie down and relax because it feels like I need to burp. Could you please give me some advice.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Based on your symptoms, I think you might be suffering from Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). In this condition stomach contents (food or liquid) leak backwards from the stomach into the esophagus (the tube from the mouth to the stomach) causing irritation of the esophagus, heart burn, watery feeling in the mouth and a blocked feeling.

You will need proton pump inhibitors for a week or two. Omeprazole is usually available over the counter and can be taken once a day before breakfast. Check with your pharmacist about its availability.

In addition, you also need some strict life style modification like-

Avoid hot and spicy foods and beverages - they worsen symptoms.
If you smoke, stop smoking.
Lose weight if needed.
Eat small but frequent meals at regular intervals.
Avoid lying down immediately after a meal. A minimum of 2-3 hours should be lapsed after a meal.
Raise the head of your bed 6 to 8 inches by securing wood blocks under the bedposts. Just using extra pillows will not help.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.