Getting negative thoughts and unable to sleep properly. How to overcome this problem?

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 8 Feb 2013 in Mental Health
Question: I am 27 yrs married guy working in IT.
For the last couple of months I am thinking too much about death and all. I am becoming very possessive about material and inmaterial things. When ever I am not indulged in anything very irrational thoughts come to my mind and sometimes I am not able to sleep properly also. Basically I am scared of losing my life and my loved ones, due to which I am having very odd feelings. And the worst part of this is that I am unable to share it with anyone. I try my best to divert my mind to something else but it takes me a while and again I have the thoughts. I don't want to share this with my wife or my family members since they are too much concerned about me.

Please help me with this as I am scared that slowly and steadily it may effect my day to day life, if I am not able to cope up with this. Till now its under my control so request you to kindly help me before its too bad.

Please help me with this and let me know how I can overcome this and live as I used to.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Your repetitive, intrusive and irrational thoughts related to material, immaterial and other things appears to obsessional thought. Obsessions are seen in obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

OCD is a type of anxiety disorder and frequently associated with generalised anxiety disorder. If these disorders are not treated early they can lead to depression because of distress and dysfunction.

Common symptoms of anxiety disorders: anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth. Many of your complaints may match with this.

OCD occur due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your OCD and depression. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect.
Non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) also takes weeks to show its effect.

All these process is complex. I have just simplified it to make you understand it.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying by keeping yourself busy and distracted from worrisome thoughts by counting back (100 to 0).
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning brisk walk

So, do not loose hope, as very effective treatment is available. You are not alone, more than 5% population suffer from anxiety and OCD. You will also get well like others. Just take one step further by meeting psychiatrist so that treatment can be started.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor for your such a detailed and satisfactory reply.
As per my understanding of your reply, my fear of death is somehow related to OCD and If I get my OCD treated the occurence of the irrational thoughts of
death will not occur ? So the root cause of my problem is OCD not the thoughts.

Also I wanted to ask you that If I go for drug treatment, will there be any side effects like dependency on the drugs or anything like that.

And is this a common problem with people , do you see people with this problem of fear of dying very often ?

Please suggest me should I go through drug traetment or therapy, and generally how much time does it take to show results.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Q. As per my understanding of your reply, my fear of death is somehow related to OCD and If I get my OCD treated the occurence of the irrational thoughts of
Ans. Yes, OCD is main cause and it is causing repetitive, intrusive and irrational thoughts.

Q. Also I wanted to ask you that If I go for drug treatment, will there be any side effects like dependency on the drugs or anything like that.
Ans: Medicines are not addictive if taken under psychiatrist supervision. Yes, medicines do have side effects but these are minimal with current medicines and monitored during treatment.

Q. And is this a common problem with people , do you see people with this problem of fear of dying very often ?
Ans: Yes. We see cases like this frequently.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 41 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor.
Just one more question, if the OCD is treated by any one of the suggested ways, what are the chances of reoccurrence. Say if I go for the treatment of drugs, are there chances that this may reoccur in future ?

As per your experience what is the best way of treatment of OCD ... through drugs or through therapy.
Till now I have not consulted anyone nor have i taken any medication or sessions.
You are the first one with whom I have shared my problem.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Q. Just one more question, if the OCD is treated by any one of the suggested ways, what are the chances of reoccurrence. Say if I go for the treatment of drugs, are there chances that this may reoccur in future ?
Ans: OCD is a chronic problem. Due to that, during 1st episode medicines are given minimum for 9-12 months. After that medicines are tapered. Same time patient is monitored for recurrence. Recurrence differ patient to patient. It can not be predicted.

Q. As per your experience what is the best way of treatment of OCD ... through drugs or through therapy.
Ans: Combined treatment is best.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.
Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 11 minutes later
Thanks Doc.

Based on the statistics or your own personal experience, what is the probability of reoccurrence OCD after having a successful treatment. And what is the statical count of such cases (if you have the figures).

I am feeling better after having consulted you online, looking forward to have a consultation directly with you.

Thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up.

Recurrence >60%.

Regards.