Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Getting headache with severe itching and burning in neck after head injury. What's wrong?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Allergist and Immunologist
Practicing since : 1999
Answered : 584 Questions
I got hit on the top of my head by a vase falling on me off a shelf. It didn't break because it had thick glass. I have a slight headache now but not as bad as it was before. When I went to lay down on my side though I suddenly got extreme itchiness and burning in my neck--mainly just on my left side and now it looks like it got sunburned. I haven't ate any new foods or anything like that and its winter here so its not poison ivy.
Posted Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later
Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

I am not exactly sure what the time difference is between the vase falling on your head and headache to the itchiness and burning in your neck.
Of course, if the headache continues and you feel ill in any way or have any other symptoms (such as blood from the nostrils etc), a CT scan of the head would be important to exclude any major trauma to the head.

If not, what I think your query is whether you are allergic to any of the components of the vase that led to the itchiness and burning sensation. If there were any flowers or oils inside the vase that came in contact with your body, and the itching starting within a few minutes or within the hour, then allergy is likely.
You then must ensure you have washed off the chemicals or contents that spilled on your body with water (preferably soap and warm water), apply a calamine lotion to soothe the area.
You can also take oral antihistamines like cetirizine or levocetirizine 2 tablets (10mg cetzine or 5mg levocetzine) that should work in 30 minutes.
If course there are any burns on your body, then you must visit the ER (or A&E) immediately.

I hope this was useful.
Best Wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor