Getting hairline type vision while in sunlight. No pain or discomfort. Any suggestion?

Dr. Mihir Shah

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I have minute black hairline type spots when in sunlight on both eyes - no discomfort nor pain and when wearing magnifyer glasses for reading etc the small hairlike features do not appear.
any suggestions?
the hairline type lines are in my vision not an the eyes themselves.
many thanks

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

You have an eye condition which is commonly referred to as floaters.

Floaters are little "cobwebs" or specks that float about in your field of vision. They are small, dark, shadowy shapes that can look like spots, thread-like strands, or squiggly lines. They move as your eyes move and seem to dart away when you try to look at them directly. They do not follow your eye movements precisely, and usually drift when your eyes stop moving.

Most people have floaters and learn to ignore them; they are usually not noticed until they become numerous or more prominent. Floaters can become apparent when looking at something bright, such as white paper or a blue sky.

Floaters occur when the vitreous, a gel-like substance that fills about 80 percent of the eye and helps it maintain a round shape, slowly shrinks.

As the vitreous shrinks, it becomes somewhat stringy, and the strands can cast tiny shadows on the retina. These are floaters.

In most cases, floaters are part of the natural aging process and simply an annoyance. They can be distracting at first, but eventually tend to "settle" at the bottom of the eye, becoming less bothersome. They usually settle below the line of sight and do not go away completely.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any furthur queries, if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah