Get rapid heartbeat in the morning. Should I be worried?

Dr. Nsah Bernard

Posted on Mon, 4 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have a rattly chest in the morning and I am worried, I haven't smoked since 1999 but it feels like a smokers cough, but it goes by midday
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Your presentation shows that you are having a chest affliction and with your description and past medical history could be due to different causes. I would have loved to get the following information at hand. Duration of smoking before stopping and number of cigarettes daily ( could be a risk factor), how long have you been having a rattly chest? Any fever, obvious weight loss, hemoptysis (coughing with blood), chest pain?
It is possible that you are suffering from an acute on chronic asthmatic cough. You will need to visit a doctor or pneumologist for a proper evaluation. Other possibilities for your chest affliction could be bronchitis. Lung cancer would be a distant possibility but we would need to evaluate it in more detail once I have these answers.

Please do provide the answers to the questions asked and let me know if you have more questions.

Waiting for your reply.

Hope this helps

Dr Nsah

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Nsah Bernard 51 minutes later
Smoked since i was 14 1984 til 1999 20 a day for the last 10 years of that but i gave up smoking and have for 13 years, only now has the cough started about 3 weeks ago no fever no chest pain, no blood, i have a pain below my right rib feels like a bruise maybe muscle pain hurts when i cough.
I only get this cough in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later
Hi.
Thanks for the details.
With your smoking history there is increased chances of lung cancer even though you stopped years ago. However, your other symptoms dont match up. But for now, I think you are having acute bronchitis but a doctor will need to eliminate asthmatic cough, tuberculosis, emphysema and lung cancer. A chest x-ray and/or Chest CT scan, sputum exams ( Acid fast bacilli) and laboratory test would be needed. In either case, you will need to see a pneumologist as soon as possible as soon are having an obvious respiratory affliction.

Best regards
Dr Nsah