Owl Image

Ask a Urologist   »  

Frequent urination even after turp operation. Taking omeprazole. Cause and cure?

Urologist
Question
I have a Turp operation six months ago and I am still having frequent urine, when can I expect it to stop? I am taking Omeprazole for gastro resistant. no other XXXXXXX condition, my mother is ddiabetic.
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
It may be worthwhile doing a scan of the abdomen to check for residual urine and stone in the bladder.
Next, a uroflow is a must, to see if there is any reduction in flow that may suggest a narrowing in the path (STRICTURE) as a sequel of instrumentation.
If the all the above are normal, a course of ANTI-CHOLINERGICS for 3 to 6 months should do the trick.
Best regards
DR GS

Follow-up: Frequent urination even after turp operation. Taking omeprazole. Cause and cure? 26 minutes later
does this mean if there is no residual urine and stone in the bladder, does that mean i will have to reapeat the operation?

Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
WELCOME back.
No, it is unlikely that repeat Operation will be needed.
Since the blocked prostate has been removed earlier, possible stricture/narrowing of the urine passage caused by instrumentation needs to be ruled out.
So, if the residual urine is less, uroflowmetry shows no block and scan shows no bladder stone, a course of anti-cholinergics (as i had mentioned earlier) should do the trick.
Best regards
DR GS