Frequent urination even after turp operation. Taking omeprazole. Cause and cure?

Dr. G.Srinivasan

Urologist

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I have a Turp operation six months ago and I am still having frequent urine, when can I expect it to stop? I am taking Omeprazole for gastro resistant. no other XXXXXXX condition, my mother is ddiabetic.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 2 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.
It may be worthwhile doing a scan of the abdomen to check for residual urine and stone in the bladder.
Next, a uroflow is a must, to see if there is any reduction in flow that may suggest a narrowing in the path (STRICTURE) as a sequel of instrumentation.
If the all the above are normal, a course of ANTI-CHOLINERGICS for 3 to 6 months should do the trick.
Best regards
DR GS
Follow up: Dr. G.Srinivasan 26 minutes later
does this mean if there is no residual urine and stone in the bladder, does that mean i will have to reapeat the operation?
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
WELCOME back.
No, it is unlikely that repeat Operation will be needed.
Since the blocked prostate has been removed earlier, possible stricture/narrowing of the urine passage caused by instrumentation needs to be ruled out.
So, if the residual urine is less, uroflowmetry shows no block and scan shows no bladder stone, a course of anti-cholinergics (as i had mentioned earlier) should do the trick.
Best regards
DR GS