Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Frequent sinus infection. Permanent cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2545 Questions
sinusisinflamed siusis every other week, please advice best way to control them.
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later
Thank you for your query.

1. Get a plain CT Scan PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts done on a new multi-slice CT Scan Machine. This is the gold standard investigation for deciding the further course of action.

2. Get a CD of the above scan (also if you have a previous scan/s for comparison), and upload the images in the Reports section.

3. There is no substitute for direct history taking and nasal examination. For example, the color of the inner lining of your nose helps identify the cause. Reddish blue or purple signifies acute allergy, Red may signify vasomotor or intrinsic rhinitis. Pale or white nasal mucosa signifies chronic long standing allergy. The location of any headaches or sinus discomfort / pressure can give a clue as to which side and which sinuses are involved. Do you have any other signs and symptoms of sinusitis such as feverishness, post nasal drip? Is there any sinus discomfort related to the time of the day? Do you have any nasal obstruction, sneezing or nasal discharge?

4. While waiting for the scan results, I always give a trial of 15 days with an anti-histamine and anti-leukotriene, a steroid nasal spray and steam inhalation. Some patients respond well to this regimen. However this should be taken only under the supervision of your local doctor.

5. A nasal endoscopy will help. Sometimes the infection is fungal and not bacterial.

6. There are many options available for sinus surgery if medical treatment fails: FESS (Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Septoplasty for correcting a DNS (Deviated Nasal Septum), Radio Frequency ablation or Coablation of Hypertrophied Turbinates.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor