What causes sphenoid sinus mucosal thickening after sinus surgery?

I had a sinus surgery last April, but have been having problems ever since. It is my third surgery and was quite painful. I just got another CT last week and it shows sphenoid sinus moderate to severe mucosal thickening and bilateral posterior ethmoid and maxillary sinus mild mucosal thickening. Could the previous surgery have caused this problem? Shouldn t the surgery have solved this problem? I have lost considerable weight and have no appetite since the surgery. I also have constant drainage that makes me vomit. I have already consulted with a GI, had an endoscopy, colonoscopy, and barium x-ray. All the results came back normal.
Tue, 29 Jun 2021

Noted your history about sinus surgery, CT scan of sinuses showing mucosal thickening of mucosal membrane of many sinuses. Also have loss of weight, no appetite, constant drainage that cause vomit. Consulted Gastroenterologist and had Endoscopy, Barium studies.
To consider your first problems related to sinuses and drainage.
- The surgery is designed to remove the disease and not the mucosal lining. Thi is so much important to have covering over the bones of sinuses otherwise the bones also will be diseased.
We have to find the reasons of mucosal thickening. This can be local or general allergy causing it to swell.
Hence go for the proper detailed tests of blood:
CBC ESR, Rule out diabetes and thyroid diseases, IgE for allergy and any specific tests that your Doctor may suggest.
Repeated courses of antihistamine, oral and topical steroids if you do not have diabetes can help you the best.
Proper doses of multivitamins, mineral and trace elements can help to recover immunity system to have better results.
Most important is to find the instigating and enhancing factors like pollution, foods, fluids and once found should be curtailed completely to have proper help. Prevention is better than cure.

Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon

Recent questions on X ray

Hi, Noted your history about sinus surgery, CT scan of sinuses showing mucosal thickening of mucosal membrane of many sinuses. Also have loss of weight, no appetite, constant drainage that cause vomit. Consulted Gastroenterologist and had Endoscopy, Barium studies. To consider your first problems related to sinuses and drainage. - The surgery is designed to remove the disease and not the mucosal lining. Thi is so much important to have covering over the bones of sinuses otherwise the bones also will be diseased. We have to find the reasons of mucosal thickening. This can be local or general allergy causing it to swell. Hence go for the proper detailed tests of blood: CBC ESR, Rule out diabetes and thyroid diseases, IgE for allergy and any specific tests that your Doctor may suggest. Repeated courses of antihistamine, oral and topical steroids if you do not have diabetes can help you the best. Proper doses of multivitamins, mineral and trace elements can help to recover immunity system to have better results. Most important is to find the instigating and enhancing factors like pollution, foods, fluids and once found should be curtailed completely to have proper help. Prevention is better than cure. Take care. Hope I have answered your question. Let me know if I can assist you further. Regards, Dr. T. Chandrakant, General Surgeon