Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Fracture, bruised ribs. What could be the cause?

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
my wife has very sore ribs, maybe broken or cracked or separated
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for writing to us.

Fractured or bruised ribs are usually caused by a blow to the chest and normally take about four to six weeks to heal fully.

She have to take rest and relax.

She can control the pain by regularly taking over-the-counter painkilllers, such as paracetamol and ibuprofen.

She can hold an ice pack to her chest to reduce the pain and swelling

Try to breathe deeply and let her lungs inflate fully. Don't wrap a bandage tightly around your chest.

Seek medical help immediately she have any of the following symptoms:
shortness of breath
increasing chest pain
pain in the abdomen or shoulder
cough or fever

The above symptoms may indicate a chest infection, or mean that a broken rib has damaged the lung.

Wishing her good health...

Dr. Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor