Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Foul smelling urine, pain inside the hip. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 4361 Questions
My urine has been smelling quite badly for awlie now and during the past week or so I have been having a constant pain internally right under my right hip. What could it be and what should I do?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

It looks like you are suffering from a urethra. Since you are complaining of the right hip pain as well an ultra sound abdomen and pelvis will be required to know if the kidneys are involved as well. I would like you to XXXXXXX a physician as soon as possible without delay for a physical examination and further work up which should include complete blood count, urine routine and culture followed by the abdominal scan. You will be given antibiotics like cefixime or levofloxacin to be taken for 12 to 14 days. Please XXXXXXX your doctor for a prescription

In the mean time while please do the following

1. Watch for fall in urine output
2. Drink plenty of water
3. Drink cranberry juice once daily, this will bring down the smell and help you recover faster
4. If you are sexually active, I advise you protected sex until you recover. Please pass urine after intercourse. This reduces the chances of UTI even in the future

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries then please accept my answer

I wish you good health and a speedy recovery

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor