Owl Image

Fetal heart rate 112-118 at 6 weeks pregnancy. Is this normal?

Owl Image
Dr. Shanti Vennam

OBGYN

Question
I just went for a 6 week Ultrasound for pregnancy and the fetal heart rate was 112-118. Is that normal?
Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,
The fetal heart rate is around 100 beats per minute in a 6 week pregnancy and it can be visualized only with high resolution. It picks up to 130-160 beats per minute by the 7th week. Since you had two miscarriages, you can follow up for the presence of any fetal anomalies. Please mention the cause for your miscarriages as it is important to know if there is a recurrent cause or any genetic anomaly that can influence future management. As of now, the fetal heart rate is within normal range. You may get follow up sonograms to see how it is picking up.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Fetal heart rate 112-118 at 6 weeks pregnancy. Is this normal? 4 hours later
I got confused about the baby's heart rate and it was actually 126 and my history of miscarriage is that I never got this far. The first time I miscarried before an ultrasound could be done and the last time at my 6 week ultrasound there was only a gestational sac, so this is pretty exciting. I go back for another ultrasound in 2 weeks. I am so hoping my chances of carrying this baby are high. Thank you for answering my question.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Early abortions - sometimes even before pregnancy is diagnosed- are so frequent and they usually have some formation abnormality. They are usually followed by normal viable pregnancies. Since you have good ultrasound findings in this pregnancy, you need not worry.

The baby's heart rate is within normal limits. You can take some precautions like avoiding intercourse in this trimester, avoiding prolonged sitting or standing or lifting weights, taking rest for 8 hours in the night and 2 hours in the day and maintaining a stress free mind.

All the best!!!

I hope this was useful. Please feel free to contact if you need any further clarifications.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Thank you...