• question-icon

Feeling tired, lethargic, headache, pain in ear, swelling and pain in joint. Proper diagnosis?

Posted on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: pain and swelling of fingers and hands with colour change, usually looks bruised on top,
pain and swelling of shoulders
pain and swelling of knees and ankles, with a burning pain
16/1 was fine then started getting pain stiffness in neck was unable to move with spasams lasted 2 days
still now getting light spasms in neck and now legs (calf)
headaches occasional stabbing pain in ear
had lots of blood test down all came back normal. except high anti dnase
tired and lethargic
ssem to have a nodule on right ring finger
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
I have seen the images attached.
Joint pains in young can be due to autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, gout, inflammatory diseases like SLE, bursitis, fibromyalgia, etc.

To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR, RA factor, CRP, serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a rheumatologist are needed.
A high levels of anti- DNase is suggestive of an autoimmune disorder which needs disease modifying agents and oral steroids to take care of the symptoms. You need to consult a rheumatologist for proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
i have all these blood test done all are normal apparently,... Drs just dont seem willing to look any further into what is wrong with me, they have not even suggested xray and mri, all pain relief i have taken helps nil, just confusing how everything can be normal in blood work yet , physically it is not
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 25 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The immune related disorders may present even with a normal blood report. A clinical diagnosis is made based on the symptoms. In addition to the pain killers you need oral steroid and immunomodulators for relief. You can get these prescribed after a physical examination by a rheumatologist.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon