Feeling stomach pain and difficulty to have bowel movement in public restroom. What to do?

Dr. Ketan Vagholkar

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I just can't seem to have a "good" bowel movement in a public restroom. I feel stomach pain all day from it, but if I have a bowel movement at home, I usually feel alright. This really sucks and is ruining my work life and outside sex life! I'm thinking it's a privacy issue, What can I do about this? I've tried eating right fiber intake, and antidepressants.
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Kindly note that antidepressant medications such as lithium induce hypothyroidism which in tern can cause slowing of bowel movements. So ensure that your thyroid hormone status is normal.
Regarding abdominal pain , slowing of motility will cause accumulation of stools giving rise to discomfort. this confirmed by the fact that when you have abowel movement you feel relieved.
I would suggest the following
1. Avoid all medications as much as possible.
2. Consume plenty of water at least 2 liters.
3. Increase the consumption of fruits like bananas.
4. Increase the consumption of XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
5. A mild stool softner like cremaffin or lactulose may help significantly. But the duration of the course should not exceed 21 days otherwise the colon becomes dependent on laxatives.
6. Regular exercising in the form of yoga or walking will be of great help.
I am sure these measures will help you resolve the issue.
With regards