Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps

126 Doctors Online
Owl Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 18 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Feeling pain on torso. Hurts to move, no discomfort from stretching. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions
I am feeling a pain on my left side, mid way of my torso. It hursts most when ive been sitting for long periods. There is no comfort from stretching. Any help?
Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Pain can arise from 2 ways.Either there may be a bony involvement or it may be visceral pain. You need to first identify the origin. To do that ideally examination and some tests are necessary.The site of the pain suggests that it could be from the stomach,liver or intestines.But is these were possible causes there would be added symptoms of the GI tract.Since you havent mentioned any,im assuming its only pain.
In such a case,bone pain also needs to be ruled out. I suggest that with long standing pain,you should see a physician for examination and get some tests done. An ultrasound abdomen,chest xray,xray spine is needed. meanwhile, muscle relaxants may help along with hot fomentation. Most likely is you sit in one position for long periods, bone/muscle pain may be the culprit here.I would indeed suggest xrays.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling pain on torso. Hurts to move, no discomfort from stretching. How to get relief? 15 hours later
Muscle can be ruled out cause there is no ease from stretching. But I think xray and ultrasound is needed. Based on where the pain is it can be liver or intestinal as you said hopefully just gas. lol. Thanks for your response it was indeed helpful. Forgot to mention it hurts to the touch sometimes.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
If it hurts to the touch,then tenderness is not caused by gas. Costochondritis can be ruled out by xrays.Get the tests done just for safety.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist