Owl Image

Feeling nauseous, stomach discomfort with headache. Had intercourse. Any chances of pregnancy?

Owl Image
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Question
Hi, I wonder if you can help please. It is our first month of trying for a baby and I think I ovulated around the 16th of this month. A few days after I noticed my nipples had grown and had more bumps on them. On Tuesday (22nd) this week I went home from work because I was sick suddenly - there was no warning, I didn't even feel sick. I have then been feeling nauseous since - for the 23rd, 24th 25th and today the 26th. Last night I was quite sick and before I was retching phlegm. Despite feeling nauseous I've been trying to eat regularly but my stomach is often bubbling and making noises. Also, last night I started to get pains across my stomach as if it was stretching and pulling. It feels hard to touch now. I have also had pains in my lower back. I have a headache this morning. Could I be pregnant or could it be something else like a stomach bug or kidney infection? I had a kidney infection about a month ago. This is my sixth day of 'feeling rough' - can a bug last that long? I don't have any diarrhoea. I just took a pregnancy test, I know it's too early but I feel like I'm going mad and I am worried that I'm ill. If I hold it to the light I can see the faintest, faintest, faintest vertical line. What do you think? I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you very much for your help. Bev
Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later
The symptoms that you have described can be due to pregnancy or a stomach bug. An infection is less likely possibility. The symptoms of pregnancy usually start appearing at 10 days post ovulation.
Right now it is too early to test for pregnancy and to get a positive result. Please do not worry and relax. You will have to wait till your periods are overdue by at least 5 days to test again.
For an early diagnosis, you can get your serum beta HCG levels evaluated.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Feeling nauseous, stomach discomfort with headache. Had intercourse. Any chances of pregnancy? 9 minutes later
Thank you for your help. I know that I should I relax and I will try to but I just worry that something is wrong. If I have a stomach bug shouldn't I have been sick more? - most of the time I just feel sick. How long can they last?

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
If the symptoms you have are due to stomach bug then these are likely to subside spontaneously in a week or so. Avoid having hot and spicy food.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.