Feeling light headed, ringing ears, weakness and having sleepless night. How to get relief?

Dr. Anantharamakrishnan

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: I am light headed and weak/feel faint. I also have a 'head pressure' feeling and ringing in my ears. have just spent 3 days in bed after suspected food poisoning and passed out on day 1 whilst vomiting. (Sunday) Received 2 bags of fluid in hospital and was sent home and in that respect feel much better. Today is day 4. BO is 120/80 so i am confused why I still feel so weak & lethargic.. Too long in bed? I should add that I had a totally sleepiness night & general bad action to the anti sickness drug they gave me. But that passed after it's half life (yesterday). Last night I was able to sleep properly.. Am I better? Should I get up and go bout my business or go back to bed? I am concerned tha if I over indulge myself in laying in bed I will just end up feeling worse for laying in bed another day...??? YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 19 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Your description typically suggests ear, as possible cause. ‘Light head / ringing / weak / feel faint / vomiting” all point to it. A bit vague though - if there is definite sense of rotation, it is vertigo. The body's balancing mechanism is in the inner ear. An ENT (Ear Nose Throat) specialist is the one to see - especially in the presence of tinnitus. They have special tests to confirm or exclude the contribution of the ear - which probably is the case with you.

If it is from getting up from bed, it may be from postural hypo-tension.. Did you check your BP?
It can be from anaemia – what is your haemoglobin?
Has an ECG been done?
Hopefully, ECG, blood pressure, blood counts and other investigations have been done and are normal?

You can get out of bed – but be at home for a day. Go slow and have help at hand – beware of fall.

If there are no clues, you have to be followed up by a neurologist. MRI may be needed. MRA (MRI angiography) shows blood vessels and is generally done at the same sitting.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck