Feeling dizzy, lightheaded and tingling all over body with metallic taste. Sleep apnea or seizures?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Hello,
This has happened to me about 5 times now. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling dizzy and light headed. My body feels tingly, and I feel like if I keep laying there I will lose myself and the tingling will go all the way to my head, and I will pass out. Sometimes I have a metalic taste in my mouth. The first few times it happened I felt like I was going to die and wanted to go to the emergency room. I also feel like I am breathing too much. Like I've hyperventilated even if I am breathing calmly. I have to force myself to breathe in or I will just not breathe. All I can keep saying over and over again to my husband is, "I feel really weird right now. Something is wrong XXXXXXX The best I can describe the feeling is I feel like I am on laughing gas. I am worried it might be sleep apnea, seizures, or panic attacks. I am scared to go to sleep. It's happened two nights in a row now. The first time was a month ago and now it's happened 3 times in the past week and a half.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
It seems you are suffering from stress and anxiety resulting in interference in your healthy sleep and gradually it becomes a sleep disorder.

Stress can cause problems that interfere with healthy sleep. Stressful events such as death, divorce, or job loss and so many other issues can lead to sleepless nights.

When you have a sleep disorder, you may have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or breathing during sleep, which can lead to poor sleep quality and health risks. Symptoms may include fatigue, daytime sleepiness, or other physical symptoms that interfere with daily life.

If anxiety is affecting your sleep, then both areas likely will need treatment because it is possible one can cause the other. Lack of sleep can lead to anxiety, and anxiety can lead to lack of sleep.

You may consult a physician who can treat sleep anxiety with medication or a counsellor can help you with talk therapy
However I shall recommend following steps to be taken before you consult a doctor

1...Exercise in the mornings or afternoon and not prior to bedtime. 
2... Yoga
3...meditation by focussing on your breathing
4... Avoid alcohol
5... Avoid watching TV and specially violent movies before sleep time
6...Go to sleep at fixed time in night.

Do consult a doctor or a counsellor in addition to above mentioned measures.

I hope it helps however you may revert o me for any further clarification.
Best of luck
Thanks