Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
161 Doctors are Online

Feeling bloating with upper abdominal discomfort and vomiting. Ultrasound done. How to get relief?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9400 Questions
Hi, I am 34 Female. And my current symptom which I am currently experiencing is my upper abdomen discomfort, pain, bloated, and at time sharp pain. I do have the feeling of vomit but I tried so hard not to vomit at all. I did had my edocospic ultrasound done few days ago which was on Monday but the result will not come out until next Tuesday. But in the meantime, I tried all kind of diets to help w/ my stomach discomfort nothing works. Eating and Drinking makes it worse! But I still have big appetite of eating just that w/ the discomfort, burning sensation like food and water is stuck between my chest and upper abdomen area about to come out kind of feeling. And I know it will be worse if I eat. During the ultrasound testing, I asked the technician about anything obvious was showing. She said no as far as she know but of course will have to wait for the result. In all that symptom that I had describe what does it sound like I'm having? and what can I do to make the pain and these bloated, discomfort go away. I had these symptom for about a week and half already!!
Posted Thu, 7 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for writing to us.

I have read your query, and from your description, you have upper abdominal pain/discomfort, abdominal bloating, nausea, feeling of something in the throat, heartburn, normal appetite, fear of eating, regurgitation of food.

The most likely conditions in order are:
-GERD (gastroesophageal refulx disease)
-Hiatus hernia
-Achalasia cardia
and many more.

These conditions can all be diagnosed by an endoscopic examination, except for GERD (diagnosed with clinical presentation and 24 hour acid monitoring).

The main advice for treatment would be a more generalized one, but I am sure these should help. They include:
-H2 receptor blockers (ranitidine, famotidine, etc.)
-Antacids (containing aluminium/magnesium)
-Proton pump inhibitors (pantoprazole, lansoprazole, esomeprazole, etc.)

Feel free to write back to me if you need an elaborate explanation of any of the above information, or any other clarifications. I would be glad to help. Wishing you a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor