Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Feeling bloated and found blood clot in urine. Should I consult a doctor?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 5767 Questions
I am starting to have similar symptoms as when I previously had a UTI. Symptoms started this afternoon, with increasing blood in what little bit of urine I can void. Now, I'm having blood clots and it is almost as much blood as if I were having my period with severe pain after I void, otherwise what feels like bloating and the urge to urinate. I plan on going to MD in the am, but at what point should I go to the ER?
Posted Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 14 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

You should go to your doctor right away. You never know how long does this uti lasts. You have diabetes what makes you prone to High blood sugar level causes high urine sugar level. It makes bacteria grow much easier as sugar is all they need to grow.
Moreover, in some cases blood in urine is the first symptom of urinary bladder tumors.
So it is advisable for you to go to your doctor and have some tests. Urine analysis, full blood work and abdominal ultrasound with urinary bladder checkup should be performed. You should also consult urologist.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Feeling bloated and found blood clot in urine. Should I consult a doctor? 2 minutes later
Regarding the pain and amount of blood, do you think this can wait until the morning to go to my doctor or should I go to the ER
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

It is hard to tell when exactly you need to go to the doctor. In some cases such uti can get healed without medical attention as urine has bacteriostatic properties (it prevents bacteria from growing and flushes it from urinary tract). But in some cases, when uti can cause kidneys failure. Such failure usually starts when the patient stops drinking enought amount of water or there is not enough urine secreted.
Moreover, you have said that you are loosing significant amount of blood. This is not normal situation and can have many reasons. So I suggest you, if possible to visit the doctor right away.

Hope this will help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor