Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Feel 10 year old heart beat over chest with hand when child is sleeping. Normal?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
hello doctor ... i can feel my 10 year old daughter heart beat over her chest when i place my hand when she is sleeping ... is it normal
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mostly nothing to worry,but follow my instructions

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand your concern and shall try my best to help you. You should know that children these days are quite lean, and so their heart beat can be felt through their chest, but if it is fact/racing then this could be an arrhythmia (irregular heat beat), and once this is observed, visiting a doctor at the earliest will help with an early diagnosis and prevention of future complications.

But what happens in most cases is that, by the time the child is taken to a doctor his/her heart beat returns to normal, which makes the doctor think that the child is normal. For this reason I would advise you to measure your daughter's pulse when you feel her heart is racing (if it is), and keep a record of the same and show it to her doctor. Urge your doctor to conduct an EKG (ECG) which should help in finding any/all arrhythmia's (if present).

If all is well, including her pulse, then there is nothing to worry about as the heart beat of children with a lean built can easily be felt through their chest (although in this case, the heart beat would be at a normal pace).

I hope this information helps you. Wishing your daughter a long, beautiful and healthy life.

God bless you and your family.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor