Experiencing tender and itchy nipples. What is the cure?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I am experiencing tender somewhat itchy nipples. I am a man 65 years old and this has occurred before a few years back and then went away as fast as it came. I am a healthy XXXXXXX the nipples are sensitive and tender but I have no pain and have found not knots are my breast area or lumps, just the tenderness on the nipples. I have tried different creams with little success, have changed hand soaps, using the same tide detergent. Bothersome more than anything else.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to many causes.

Detailed Answer:
Sore and itchy nipple in males may be due to injury to the breast tissue like by pinching or accident that may cause soreness of breast, infection of the breast is called mastitis, but is rare in males and also associated with swelling and redness, Pain in the underlying muscles or ribs may be mistaken for sore nipples and also abrasion and also rough cloths that you are wearing. It can also happen due to eczema of nipples.
You can try to eliminate the yenderness by wearing light cotton clothes that will not rub against your nipples. Apply a lubricant like baby oil or any moisturizer over the nipples.
In case the symptoms persist then do consult a physician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.