Experiencing pain on half part of body. Feeling cold with burning sensation. Meniere's disease?

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in General Health
Question: Ive been experiencing some pain on the left side of my body.. starting from the back of my brain, towards the middle and through to the top, just over my left eye... the bridge of nose feels a little numb and my left arm feels like it changes from a burning sensation to then feeling cold.. this is quite worrisome for me at the moment and im getting an annoying ring out my ear too..could this be a case meniere's disease? or early signs?? i have a heavy head feeling sensation and at times feeling a little dizzy at times.. the weird part is that i havent had any signs of vertigo..ive had the other symptoms now for 6 months..i had a CAT scan organised through an ENT but im pretty sure they were not looking for this, rather sinnutis
Also i find it extremely hard to get a good nights sleep
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I too agree with your doctors that, these are the features of sinusitis along with atypical migraine, rather than Meniere's disease.

You do not have any classical symptoms of Meniere's disease. Typical Meniere's disease is characterized by episodes of vertigo, low-pitched tinnitus, and hearing loss. In your case, the ringing in the ear and the mild dizziness is due to blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).

Do not worry, get a CT scan of the paranasal sinuses done to rule out blockage of the sinuses.

Meanwhile, you can try the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water to keep the nose and the throat hydrated.
2. Use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, which helps in reducing the nasal congestion and clearing of the mucus, thus reducing the tinnitus and the head discomfort.
3. Try taking mucolytic (such as ambroxol or bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the mucus and clearing of the sinuses.
4. An anti-inflammatory medicine such as ibuprofen or diclofenac for pain.
5. Avoid coffee/chilled & hot beverages/alcohol/smoking.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 13 minutes later
Thanks for clearing up that matter for me, much appreciated Dr. In relation to blockage of the Eustachian tube, wouldnt the CT scan of the sinusus' pick that up? I went to an ENT 2 months back and didnt mention anything of the type. I assumed all is ok. Would a brain scan need to be done to see if this could be the case? Im pretty confused as my doctors are telling me its anxiety and its symptoms thats causing the pain in the head and the ringing in the ears
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 15 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing back

No, Eustachian tube cannot be appreciated in a CT scan. It is a tiny tube which gets overlapped with the para nasal sinuses. I suggested CT scan of the paranasal sinuses, because, it gives a picture about the anatomy of the nose and paranasal sinuses as well as any blockage of the sinuses, which can give rise to these sort of problems. If it turns out to be negative then we will have to think of other possibilities such as migraine, anxiety related disorders, etc.

With respect to the symptoms you are having, I strongly feel that it could be sinus related problems. You can combine both brain and the para nasal sinuses scans in the same sitting.

Hope you are convinced. I wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon