Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Exhausted,body pain,epstein barr,extreme pain in left hip,groin,knee,cortisone injection,physical therapy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
I am a52 yr old female.I started exercising regularly in Sept of last yr and was up to 5 miles on the treadmill by XXXXXXX I have always been active so this was not a huge jump for me. By the end of Feb I was not even able to go 5 min on the treadmill. I suffered from exhaustion and all over body pain. I was diagnosed with epstein barr but I have had extreme pain in my left hip,groin, and knee ever since then. I have had xrays and they show no arthritis. I have had a cortisone shot in the knee and it didn't help. I have been going to physical therapy for 4 wks and there is barely any relief at all. Any suggestions?
Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query. One important point to be noted in your history is that you are having pain in left hip, knee and groin and hence the left upper limb is effected. Earlier you were having body pains and exhaustion as well.

Keeping these points in view, few possibilities are important and need to be ruled out in your case. These are:

1)     The first possibility is of polymyalgia rheumatica which is an inflammatory disorder involving pain and stiffness in the shoulder or hips and is found in people over 50 years of age.

2)     Second possibility is of arthritis of the hip joint and knee joint. X-rays are not a specific test for diagnosing arthritis and you need blood work and MRI scan of the joints to rule it out.

3) Third possibility is of a spinal cause like spinal stenosis or degeneration disc which are causing nerve compression and hence pain in hip, groin and knees. You need to get a MRI lumbar spine done to rule out this possibility.

Complete physical examination along with investigations like ESR blood, Rheumatoid factor, creatine kinase, electromyography, MRI joints and spine and muscle biopsy may be needed to make a diagnosis. I advise you to get these tests done after consulting an orthopedician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor